Williamsburg Estate Planning Attorneys
At TrustBuilders Law Group, we believe that everyone should have a comprehensive estate plan in place. Estate planning is not just for the wealthy or the elderly. It is for anyone who wants to protect their loved ones and their assets. Our Williamsburg estate planning attorneys can help you create a plan that is tailored to your unique needs and goals.
What Is Estate Planning?
Estate planning is the process of creating a plan for the management and distribution of your assets upon your death or incapacity. It is a way to ensure that your wishes are carried out and that your loved ones are taken care of. Estate planning can also help you minimize taxes and avoid the probate process.
Our Williamsburg estate planning attorneys can help you create a plan that includes:
- Wills and trusts
- Advance medical directives
- Durable power of attorney
- Guardianships and conservatorships
- Charitable planning
- Estate tax planning
- Legacy planning
- Medicaid planning
- Retirement planning
- Special needs planning
Why Do I Need an Estate Plan?
Everyone can benefit from having an estate plan in place. It is a way to ensure that your wishes are carried out and that your loved ones are cared for after you have passed. However, there are many benefits beyond simply caring for your family.
There are several reasons why you should consider creating an estate plan, including:
- Protecting your loved ones: An estate plan can help you ensure that your loved ones are taken care of after you are gone. You can name a guardian for your minor children, set aside funds for their care, and provide for their future.
- Protecting your assets: An estate plan can help you protect your assets from creditors, lawsuits, and other threats. You can also use an estate plan to minimize taxes and avoid the probate process.
- Protecting your legacy: An estate plan can help you protect your legacy and ensure that your assets are used to benefit the people and causes that are important to you. You can use an estate plan to make charitable donations, set up a scholarship fund, and more.
- Protecting your privacy: An estate plan can help you protect your privacy and the privacy of your loved ones. You can use an estate plan to keep your affairs out of the public record and avoid the probate process.
What Is the Difference Between a Will and a Trust?
A will and a trust are both estate planning tools that can be used to distribute your assets upon your death. However, there are several key differences between the two.
The main differences between a will and a trust are:
- Probate: A will must go through the probate process, while a trust does not. The probate process is a court-supervised process that is used to validate a will and distribute the assets of the deceased. It can be time-consuming, expensive, and stressful for your loved ones. A trust, on the other hand, allows your assets to pass directly to your beneficiaries without going through probate.
- Privacy: As mentioned earlier, a will is a public document that is filed with the court and becomes part of the public record. This means that anyone can access it and find out how your assets were distributed. A trust, on the other hand, is a private document that is not filed with the court and does not become part of the public record. This means that your assets can be distributed privately and your loved ones can avoid the probate process.
- Control: A will only goes into effect after you die, while a trust can go into effect as soon as it is created. This means that a trust can be used to manage your assets during your lifetime and after your death. A trust can also be used to manage your assets if you become incapacitated and are unable to do so yourself.
- Flexibility: A will is a relatively simple document that is used to distribute your assets upon your death. A trust, on the other hand, is a more complex document that can be used to distribute your assets upon your death and during your lifetime. A trust can also be used to manage your assets if you become incapacitated and are unable to do so yourself.
Why TrustBuilders Law Group for Estate Planning in Williamsburg, VA?
Estate planning is a critical step for everyone, regardless of wealth or age. At TrustBuilders Law Group, our Williamsburg estate planning attorneys are dedicated to helping you create a personalized plan that safeguards your loved ones and assets. We will guide you through the intricacies of wills, trusts, and other essential legal components to ensure that your estate plan is well-crafted, comprehensive, and aligned with your specific circumstances.
A Family Name That You Can Trust
The Buxton Family has been serving greater Hampton Roads in law or medicine for over 100 years. We are a 5th generation family committed to supporting the local community. Let our family legacy help build your family legacy.
A Price You Can Afford
TrustBuilders Law Group takes pride in offering modern estate planning at affordable prices. Our plans are prepared at a competitive, value-based flat-fee so you will never have to worry about hourly rates surprise bills.
A Staff With Experience and Credentials
TrustBuilders Law Group has one of the most experienced legal teams in the area. In addition to over 100 years of combined experience, we are the only firm in Hampton Roads with both a Master of Laws in estate planning and Certified Elder Law Attorney on staff.
A Plan With Your Goals in Mind
TrustBuilders Law Group specializes in creating custom estate plans that focus on your wealth preservations goals. Unlike many boilerplates seen in the marketplace, our documents are state specific, tailored to your needs and contain cutting-edge solutions.